AFTER CALI, THE OLYMPIC GAMES QUALIFYING EVENTS CONTINUE IN TASHKENT AND KENYA
Last week Cali hosted the South American, Ibero-American and OPEN Senior Championships. This competition had been postponed from March 2020 to 2021 due to the COVID-19 Pandemic and it has been one of the last chances to gain qualifying points for the Olympic Games. The Cali Qualification Event was a Silver Level Qualification Event, the last Silver Event in the IWF Competition Calendar for Tokyo 2020.
The IWF Absolute Ranking List is still open, however it will be settled on 31 May 2021.
Those who are competing from 23-31 May at the IWF Junior World Championship in Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and from 26-31 May at the African Championship in Nairobi, Kenya, can still increase their chances of qualifying for the Olympic Games.
The Absolute Ranking List for Tokyo will be published in mid-June. Until that it is not perfectly settled who will be those 14 athletes per bodyweight category representing their respective nations. There are also countries that may be excluded or see their places reduced due to doping issues.
Revised Olympic Qualification System for Weightlifting
The modified Olympic Qualification System of Weightlifting which has been approved by the International Olympic Committee recently, has introduced a series of modifications, which have been proposed by the International Weightlifting Federation:
● The best eight lifters from each category, by World Points from the IWF Absolute Ranking, will qualify for the Olympics. In addition the five highest-ranked athletes by Continental Points from the IWF Absolute Ranking (one per continent) will also qualify.
● The minimum number of events to be eligible for selection is reduced from 6 to 4.
● To have competed once in an Olympic bodyweight category is sufficient (previously two).
● It is not necessary to have competed in the third period to be eligible for selection.
● The best competition of the first period, the best competition of the second period and the third and fourth best competitions of all periods will score.
After a tough year, the time has come to confirm the last Olympic spots in the final qualifiers, that will take place in Kenya and Tashkent simultaneously starting tomorrow.